Directions to Debsconeag Rental Cabins in the Nahmakanta Wilderness
Directions From Greenville, Maine:
The cabins are about 1.5 hours and 23 miles from Greenville, mostly on dirt roads. From the blinking yellow light in Greenville follow the Lilly Bay Road north from Greenville to Kokadjo. After leaving Kokadjo the road turns to gravel. Major intersections are marked with our DLWC signs (white with green lettering). At Kokadjo, set your odometer to ZERO and proceed with these directions:
- 0 miles at Kokadjo Store. As the road turns to dirt bear left (Do not take the North Shore Road). At the next intersection (Spencer Bay Road) stay right.
- 1.6 miles Turn RIGHT at Medawisla sign and look for our Debsconeag Lake Wilderness Camp signs (white with green lettering)
- 3.7 miles Stay LEFT
- 6.3 miles Go LEFT at blue Dept. of Conservation sign
- 10.3 miles Turn RIGHT
- 11.3 miles Sharp LEFT
- 13.1 miles Turn RIGHT
- 13.7 miles Turn LEFT at blue Dept. of Conservation sign
- 15.1 miles Large NAHMAKANTA Reserve sign
- 16.1 miles Continue straight – Road comes in on left.
- 16.7 miles Bear LEFT
- 18.0 miles Intersection with Jo Mary road. Turn LEFT.
- 18.8 miles Turn RIGHT
- 22.0 miles Cross Nahmakanta Stream Bridge. The landing is 1.5 miles from here. The road gets a bit rough.
Directions from Brownville Junction or Millinocket, Maine
It is possible to drive to Debsconeag from Route 11 between Brownville Junction and Millinocket see map. If coming from the south turn left at the Jo Mary Lake Campground sign onto the gravel, Jo Mary Road. Within 100 yards you will see the Jo Mary Road Checkpoint, please pull to the right and go into the gatehouse to register and pay a road use fee of $10 for Maine residents (per way), and $15 for non-residents. We are about a 45-minute to one-hour drive from the Jo Mary Gate.
While you are at the Jo Mary Gate, please use the gatehouse phone to call ahead to Debsconeag Lake Wilderness Camps. This will allow us to meet your party at the boat launch without a delay.
Between the Jo Mary and Henderson gates the road is private although open to the public, please give logging trucks the right of way.
Call ahead so we know you are coming
Give us a call (207-460-5226) when you leave Greenville or the Jo Mary Checkpoint so that we will know when to meet you at the landing or with prior arrangement we can leave a canoe for you to use.
The cabins are about a ¾ of a mile from the landing on the same side of the lake. You can walk in from the landing along the tote road that parallels the lake and turns into a trail; take a right after the snowmobile bridge to follow the shore trail to the camps. We can come back and pickup your gear with the boat.
It is also possible to fly into Fourth Debsconeag Lake from Millinocket. We recommend Katahdin Air, which flies out of Ambajejus Lake and charges $40 per person each way.